Just like our body needs water, our skin also needs hydration to stay plump and youthful. It is essential to use hydrating ingredients in your skincare routine no matter what skin type you are. There are multitudes of skincare products present in the market. We’ll dive deeper into what beneficial ingredients you should look out for the next time you make a purchase.
1. Hyaluronic acid
- One of the most popular hydration bombs that your skin will thank you for. Hyaluronic acid can hold up to a thousand times its weight in water. This means it attracts moisture from its surroundings. The correct way to use hyaluronic acid is to apply it to damp skin and then use a moisturizer on top. Hyaluronic acid can make your skin look fresh and supple. Since it rehydrates your skin, it will also reduce the appearance of fine lines. It has a softening and plumping effect on the skin and absorbs very fast, so it’s perfect for when you are on the go.
2. Skin-safe Oils
Contrary to popular belief, oils are not always bad. There are many which can be nourishing for your body and face.
- Avocado oil is moisturizing and protects your skin barrier. It has fatty acids and vitamins A, D, and E. All of these combined can help fight sun damage and aging.
- Castor oil is thick in consistency and highly moisturizing if used on the body.
- Rose seed oil has a lightweight consistency. Use it as the last step of your skincare routine to seal in all your products. It is hydrating and anti-inflammatory.
- Ceramides are long-chain fatty acids found in the skin’s barrier. They are amazing for preventing water loss from the skin and fixing a broken skin barrier. As we age, ceramide production decreases. Hence, it is necessary to replenish the number of ceramides in our skin. They will help us with dryness and make sure our skin is well-hydrated. Ceramides can even treat issues like eczema, irritation, and flaky skin. It is a golden ingredient that you must look out for.
- Glycerin is a skin humectant which means that it aids in retaining moisture. It is common in skincare, especially moisturizers. This is because it is an excellent hydrating ingredient and very gentle on the skin. It attracts water from its surroundings into your skin, so it should be used with an occlusive moisturizer. It will make your skin glow due to its hydrating effects and is compatible with many other skincare ingredients as well!
5. Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter
- Shea Butter is a type of fat derived from Shea trees found in Africa. It has lots of vitamins and fatty acids which make it a great moisturizer, especially for people that are prone to dry, flaking skin and eczema. It is very nourishing and glides over the skin smoothly. Shea Butter is incorporated into lip products since it is gentle and forms a protective layer that protects the skin from environmental factors like the sun, pollution, etc.
- Cocoa Butter comes from cocoa beans and it is very similar to Shea Butter in texture. It is a rich moisturizing ingredient that is best used on the body and the lips for maximum nourishment.
We hope you’ll remember to treat your skin with love and hydrate it so that it remains beautiful, moisturized, and glowy always!